Dec 14, 2012

Ronin takes up challenge or commits seppuku…


Like 46 others, addicted to all things beginning with the letters P, A, I, N, T, I got myself enrolled in Curt’s growing in fame Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. For those who wouldn't have heard about it so far (really?), this third edition of the contest gathers 47 painters, under the famous name of the forty-seventh ronins, with Curt being some sort of daimyo for us all. Or, does he play the part of the Shogun? Well then, the story could end quite bitter for him…

Anyway, each of the challengers has to conform to some rules, the most important being that the challenge goes from December the 20th to March the 20th, and that, not a single figure that we intend to reveal during this period and earn points from, should be adorned with colors until then. Yet, we were strongly advised to list our objectives, roughly evaluate the amount of points expected, and get the lead trimed and primed, before the sword strikes on the 20th.

Now, the challenge is essentially about manufacturing painted figures, rather than crafting jewels of painting skills. I believe Curt’s pristine idea was to take advantage of the freezing canadian winter to get done projects that had been sitting around for too long. So, this is going to be a definite challenge against my tendency to procrastination, rather than against the other 46 ronins. Will I turn out to be the tortoise of the story, at the arrival?

At least, I have been prompt. Getting the lead pile sorted out for the challenge has been quite an excitement by itself. And, after having cure cuts of knife with stains of basecoat, time has come to give some insights of what is to be expected, here in Nowhere, in 2013.

First, three magnificent horsemen from the russian manufacturer Plastic Miniatures. 3 figs / 30 pts

Second, a group of Ancient - Chariot Era figures from Foundry. 48 figs / 240 pts


Third, a SAGA warband of Franks Capetians Crusaders, from Perry Miniatures. 46 figs / 300 pts

Obviously late... Hurry up Canada Post!
Fourth, specially for you John, since you have been asking so badly ;o)... What's left unpainted of my Perry's 1815 Napos. approx. 38 figs / 200 pts


If time allows, but I suspect it won't, I might also sneak a few Darkest Africa civilians and hunters from Foundry. 18 figs / 90 pts

All in all, this is 860 pts of lead that I have under the elbow. To tell the truth, I'll be more than pleased, if I achieve to paint half of this. Wait! Could this shiny parcel, that Santa has just delivered in advance, seal my destiny?


The answer next year...

20 comments:

  1. Good luck in the Challenge, I'm sure you'll get all them figures done in no time, especially with your new Mega Paint Set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Not a mega painting weapon, but this will surely help.

      Delete
  2. I have some of those AP paints very nice coverage, We will help you to keep focused and get ALL you targets completed, that in the end is what all this is about
    Peace James
    Ronin 17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. The we will see if the AP paints have coverage enough for all!

      Delete
  3. Good luck in the challenge! That's quite a goal you've set for yourself, but I'm sure you'll get it done.

    By the way, those russian riders look great. Might have to check out that manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the cheering Jonas. After all ancient is all about flesh, crusaders all about chainmail and french Napo all about blue...

      Delete
  4. Those three cavalry figures are gorgeous. When I Google the manufacturer, I keep getting PSC links. Could you share info on where I could find them, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FMK.

      Try this link: http://www.plastic-miniatures.com/
      You will see, they have quite funny products...

      Delete
  5. Good luck, Nicolas. It looks like a good task, but I am sure you can do it. I must say that I am extremely envious of the AP paint pack. Nice gift from Pere Nöel.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pere Noël of myself always gets me what I like! You should check Litko, they have a fairly interesting price for the paint pack. And, you won't have to pay the horrendous shipping fees I had to disburse.

      Nico.

      Delete
  6. ... and my wrist stay firm. Thank you Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ambitious goal, I like it!

    Bonne Chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An admirable roster you have there Nicco. I look forward to seeing them in glorious MEGA Colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck, brother Ronin. I look forward to seeing more of your work here. I have lately become a convert to Army Painter products. I find them more reliable thanbVallejo.
    Cheers,
    Mike / Ronin 28

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Sir, you are clearly well primed and ready for the off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you're trying hard to burn fat then you absolutely have to jump on this brand new tailor-made keto plan.

    To create this service, licensed nutritionists, personal trainers, and professional cooks joined together to provide keto meal plans that are useful, decent, cost-efficient, and delicious.

    Since their first launch in 2019, hundreds of individuals have already completely transformed their figure and health with the benefits a professional keto plan can provide.

    Speaking of benefits; clicking this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-proven ones provided by the keto plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you're looking to lose kilograms then you need to get on this totally brand new custom keto plan.

    To create this keto diet service, certified nutritionists, personal trainers, and professional chefs have joined together to develop keto meal plans that are effective, decent, economically-efficient, and fun.

    From their launch in 2019, 1000's of clients have already transformed their body and well-being with the benefits a professional keto plan can give.

    Speaking of benefits; in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones given by the keto plan.

    ReplyDelete